Friday, June 29, 2007

The Cat Next Door


Where is the Pied Piper when you need him?
This is my guy Baxter, and if I am outside, he is right beside me, bringing in firewood, hanging laundry out to dry, walking on the beach, weaving back and forth between my feet as I navigate the stairs. Sometimes I swear he is trying to trip me although it was Mark who ran over his tail with the gas grill. If I am inside, he wants to be there too. He lives next door, and I know his name because he wears it on a tag around his neck. He is persona non gratis as far as my daughter is concerned because of the incident where he scratched the world's most curious grandson. But I digress. It is winter here on the island, and there's a chill. Even the sea seems cold and ill-tempered, tossing large pieces of timber up on the beach at will and washing others away with no trace. The piece of driftwood pictured in the NZ Bach post - gone! Anyhow, because of the cold, everyone is trying to keep warm.......including the rats. That's right. I said rats. Not mice, RATS. They're in the attic, and everybody has them. Everybody. No problem......you put out bait boxes, and they party down and shrivel up and die. Yuck. My question is - isn't it Baxter's job to protect us from these invaders?
Well, maybe help is on the way:

No comments: