Saturday, June 7, 2008

Poinciana: Flamboyant Tree


Poinciana. At last I've discovered the name of these fabulous trees that have been blooming here there and everywhere for the past several weeks. They are actually a vivid orange which doesn't photograph reliably, and from the 25th floor you can see them dabbed across the landscape by some delightfully mad artist who is intent on making a name for himself. I have questioned many Floridians about these beauties, but nobody seems to know ( and it wasn't as if I insisted on the Latin name) - either they haven't lived here very long or they've forgotten or they just don't care. Trees is trees, but I don't think I've noticed any of these in Ann Arbor, City of Trees. C'mon, Michigan, step up to the plate. Whatcha got?

http://www.floridata.com/ref/D/delo_reg.cfm


No comments: