Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Bonne Etoile

'Twas a very low tide on a very cool day, but the water was warm and clear - and all of us sea critters were soaking up some sunshine.

The horseshoe crab is a rare sight although they used to be all over the beach. I saw in a documentary that scientists catch them and bleed them for some kind of research and release them back into the sea.

Twinkle......twinkle......this is the largest sea star I have ever found. I wanted to take him home, but he had places to go, things to do, and people to see.



Upside down. Notice he has an injured arm - leg - tentacle (I really must look that up when I have time), but remember..........they regenerate. In fact, not only can they grow a new appendage, but they can grow a complete new star from the severed limb.


Adieu, ma petite etoile de mer.


No comments: