Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Beach Books












We spent a weekend on Captiva with some friends from up North, who had neglected to bring along a beach read. Tsk. I just happened to have a couple of Randy Wayne White paperbacks in my bag. That's me ... always prepared.

Randy Wayne White, you say incredulously. But I thought you were a serious literature buff. Well, this is Florida, people. Certainly you've seen CSI Miami and Miami Vice. Does that look like serious literature to you?

In March we were at Doc Ford's on Sanibel, wining and dining; and Mr. White (he's a local and part owner of the restaurant, which is named for the protagonist of his novels) was there signing his latest. The wine made me do it.

Meanwhile, I have become ensnared. After reading the most recent, I began with the first and am turning pages until I have digested all sixteen. Do I have to have a reason, people - it's Florida.

http://www.randywaynewhite.com/Welcome%21.html

The shrimp boats are part of the view from Doc Ford's Rum Bar and Grille at Fort Myers Beach.

I'll be at the bar with my book.

No comments: