Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Fa - La - La

It's Santa's favorite elf. I cannot tell you how many hours I spent creating those ornaments or, more importantly, why. I think it must have had something to do with putting together a perfect Christmas .... you know, the one where everything is just-so ...... picture-perfect ...... and the photos are too. The one that is just a few if-onlys out of reach ...... Accomplishing that fantasy is why Santa needs milk and cookies ........ and champagne and lots of wrapping paper. It took me a long time to figure out that the "perfect" Christmas that I was trying to re-create was not just one Christmas -- it was a collage of the best parts of lots of childhood holidays, both real and imagined.

So now that I am older and wiser, but no less fashionable (don't tell me you didn't notice the afro, the uber lip gloss, the scarf, the short skirt?), I realize that Christmas can still be perfect with almost no work at all ....... especially if your children are grown. Fah who for-aze!

1 comment:

Juli said...

I love this post. I think it's one of your best.

I wonder if we all try to re-create the Christmases of our childhood. The ornaments that you made are on my tree.