Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Washed Up


Ever feel like a fish out of water? I won't lie to you; I miss the beach. However, now that the Gulf has become an oil retention tank, I wonder whether the Sunshine State can break through the clouds. Hurricanes are bad enough, but black gold gone postal??? At first, it seemed Texas might be spared the gusher's wrath and I was able to console myself with thoughts of treks to Galveston or Port Aransas, maybe even Padre Island. That dream was dashed when tar balls washed up on the beach north of Galveston this weekend (as if they haven't suffered enough). And why do you think the media has settled on the term tar ball? Maybe that seems less icky than the ugly gooey sticky slimy globs they really are. And people, I don't care how much you paid for your vacation on the sand, you don't want to get in the water with those things. That's just as crazy as jumping in with the jelly fish. Another euphemism - tar balls and jelly fish: sounds like the daily special at a seafood restaurant. So, for now, my beach is my bath tub. Last one in .............

1 comment:

Juli said...

I would rather swim with jelly fish than tar balls. I really don't want to get in the water with those things. But I guess I'll have to. If I ever swim in the Gulf again. xx