Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Eating Up the Coast


Oh, mate, you say........is that your house? No way. It's the Rock Salt Restaurant and that's the view across the parking lot where you can walk on the beach and pick up shells and pieces of driftwood and little bits of this and that. I never seem as lucky as the other Gramma who has all kinds of beautiful shells in her collection. She keeps promising to go with me to help me find the elusive ones, but, well, we'll see. So, how good is the food at the Rock Salt, you ask. Who cares. Have you looked at that view? Would you rather look at your plate? Actually, the food is nothing special. However, the wine is excellent, and the owners are extremely nice. Yes, I have been there more than once. My kitchen has a view too, but when I'm in my kitchen, I'm the one cooking!

Coming from America, you would expect gourmet restaurants and high-rise condos up and down this gorgeous coastline, especially since it's a popular vacation spot. Not the case. There are only three restaurants on the water in the area (more on the other two later) and no skyscrapers. Imagine. But then, we're not in Kansas anymore. We're in New Zealand, and they haven't ruined it yet.

And, in case you're wondering........the day was a bit blustery. It is still winter here although the temps are consistently in the 50s day and night. Even so, the wind can be a mighty force, tossing big logs up on the beach like they were tooth picks. Nevertheless, I'm smiling.

I know! I know! The purse doesn't go. I haven't totally lost my fashion sense, but it is fading. Nobody seems to care.

No comments: