Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And the Livin' is Easy

Summertime used to be my favorite time of the year. Notice I am speaking in the past tense. You know that familiar saying too much of a good thing? Well, that's what I'm talking about. The summer solstice just arrived a few days ago and the temperature is stuck on 99 degrees - OK sometimes it's 100 but that doesn't sound as cool. I am posting at 11:00 PM Central Daylight Time, and it's still 90 fryin' degrees. Yes, I said ninety. And it's only 81 in Fort Myers. How can that be? Don't people go to Florida to be hot?

The geranium is wilting on the deck, the squirrels are panting, splayed out on the tree branches...... It's too hot to walk in the park, to play golf, to go for a swim (if I had a pool), or to barbecue. So it's winter upside down - we're confined to the cabin, avoiding Mother Nature's hot flashes.

In case you're wondering, I don't know what kind of blooming tree that is. It grows across the street in front of a house that has a for sale sign, proclaiming, "I'm gorgeous inside." It's not.

No comments: