Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Beachin'


Yep! That's my winter coat, but it's not zipped up. Yep! That's a wool sweater, and if you're really observant, you'll notice my polyprops peeking out under the cowl. It is winter here, you know. However, I'm not even wearing gloves, and, most importantly, I am at the beach. Not building any sand castles, but not expecting any hurricanes either. However, the real point is......another day, another beach. This one is up the coast a little farther than we've been before - at Otaki. Same scenario - reminds me of Florida and the South before it became so air-conditioned. A little sleepy, a little shabby, and mostly deserted. I can remember Pensacola Beach when you might be the only person within sight - in the middle of summer. But, I digress. A sign of age, I think. Anyhow, here too you can look up and down and you're the only one around. What is it about the sand and the sea that attracts us so?
Give yourself a gold star if you spotted Kapiti Island, and now we're looking back at it from a different angle. Looking up the beach, there's nothing out there - just the ocean and the sky - and today they're both blue. Why is it a good thing when they're blue, and a bad thing when we are?

No comments: